Coal Proficiency Testing
Coalspec is a Coal Proficiency Testing scheme. It was founded in 1998 and the number of participants has since grown to more than 50, a third of which are oversees participants. It is also renowned for continuously improving the quality and integrity of its services.
The aim of the Coalspec Proficiency Testing scheme is to independently assess the ability of its participant laboratories to competently perform the required tests and provide technical assistance where required by clients.
Each participating laboratory is allocated a random unique code to ensure confidentiality of the scheme and test results, as well as to protect the client’s commercial interest(s). In the report, reference to a specific laboratory and its results is only made through this unique code, such that only the participating laboratory can access its test results.
Some advantages of participating in a Proficiency Testing scheme:
- Forms a basis for accreditation
- Self-improvement initiative
- Ensures consistency of performance
- Self-evaluation of laboratory against peer laboratories
- International network of coal laboratories
- Demonstrates competitive advantage
- Increases confidence in capability of staff, systems and equipment
- Realises the capability of the laboratory